Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: HZ panelvan resto

So onto other matters as I prepare for colour... Got a set of 15x7 and 15x8 alloy GTS wheels with 265's on the back, so that will be a squeeze....

Wheels.jpg

And I finally cracked the colour... Yes I'm doing it in acrylic as I don't have a dust free environment or a breathing apparatus - and I have neighbours!!

Papaya.jpg

Nice work, this is progressing well.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

So colour starting to get laid down. I used a 1:1 mix acrylic lacquer to thinner for the first 3 coats with the last 3 being a 1.25 thinner to 1 lacquer mix to allow for a better gloss off the gun. The plan was to spray the insides the panels, then the roof, then the outside of the panels, then the rest of the car...

So the insides of the panels. Paint laid down really nicely with no real dramas beyond one or two minor runs... and one pain in the arse fly that decided to commit suicide in wet paint...

20240330_103155.jpg

20240330_103228.jpg

Doors 1.jpg

Doors 2.jpg

Tailgate paint 2.jpg

Nose cone and guards 1.jpg

Bonnet 1.jpg

I then moved onto the roof. Van's are massive when you're painting them and so I used two gorilla benches - that was fun walking across both as I sprayed and making sure I didn't fall down the middle of them! - to get high enough to paint the roof with at least reasonable access to all parts (the centre is a touch drier than I'd like but it's got good coverage so will wet rub back fine with 1200. Masking was on the gutter line. Then when I do the body I'll mask in the roof area of the gutter line. A quick scuff of 800 on the gutter line will clean any paint line before I spray the main body area...

Things to watch out for are to make sure you put extra attention on the insides of the gutter rails to get good coverage inside them - and to watch to make sure you don't overbalance onto the roof when it's still wet!!

Roof 1.jpg

Roof 2.jpg

Roof 3.jpg

Next job will be the outside of the panels...
    Last edited by DuncanM; 10-04-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Must be good to finally get the colour on. One of my favourite 70s colours

Great progress, great to see it happening. Dig the colour also.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thanks guys. It's so satisfying to finally get some colour down absolutely!!!!

And yeah epic colour - although I was tossing up between Papaya and Aquarius for a long while... as well as Caribbean Turquoise... and then Panama Green... and maybe Jasmine Yellow....

OK - so onto the outside of the panels - tailgates, doors and bonnet all masked up and outside sprayed. This is where acrylic is beneficial as it bleeds into the previous coats and so you don't have to deal with some of the issues that you may encounter when blending 2 pac coats..

Lower tailgate

Tailgate outer 1.jpg

Upper tailgate

Upper tailgate outer 1.jpg

One of the doors

Door outer 1.jpg

Bonnet...

Bonnet outer 1.jpg

And them all dry and hardening up...

Outer panels 1.jpg

Overall very happy with the gloss off the gun for acrylic. Going to save me time on wet rubbing... So now finally onto the main body....
    Last edited by DuncanM; 16-04-2024 at 12:14 AM.

And finally the main body. Again paint went on really well. Did the firewall sections in gloss black as the guy who I bought the car from did the inner guards and main firewall in gloss black so I went with it. Personally I'd have done satin - and I still may once I pull the engine, but the gloss doesn't look quite as bad as I thought so we shall see how it goes.

So all paint on and now waiting for it to harden to wet rub back and do the blackouts...

First final coat mask 2.jpg

First final coat mask 4.jpg

First final coat mask 1.jpg

REar van 5.jpg

body paint 1.jpg

Body paint 2.jpg

Firewall 1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On that point is the cowl panel inside the cabin meant to be Black 30 or Black 60???

Thread Information