Thread: Weird electrical issue....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weird electrical issue....

Had a strange afternoon on Saturday. The Wife and I drove into town to visit my Mum in hospital and we took the van. Bad choice, we drove through a huge thunderstorm, so I had the lights and aircon/demister on all the way.

When we got back in the van and turned the key there was Nothing! No power at all to anything. I assumed I had a bad battery terminal connection and twisted them to get a better contact, and all I got was a click from the starter when I turned the key.

A nice bloke (with a prosthetic leg!) was kind enough to loan us some jumper leads and a jump start, but the motor still wouldn't turn over.

When the jumper leads were connected we had headlights and interior light and radio, but as soon as I disconnected them all we had was the interior light.

So it was a trip home on the tilt-tray, a very rare experience for us as I usually get whatever is wrong sorted out.

My battery is good and showing a full charge and the interior light is strong.

Could my problem be the positive lead connection to the starter motor? Or the alternator?

It seems strange that power is getting to the fuse box, but not to the starter (or headlights!)

This one has got me stumped. I want to fix it myself if it's an easy fix, before resorting to the auto electrician in town.

Anyone??????
    Last edited by Big Rob; 17-02-2015 at 03:08 AM.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information