For some time I have been contemplating upgrading the brakes on the Torana. A few months ago I pulled the finger out and started working on a plan. The brakes are basically the same as on the Sandmans so it might come in handy for any forum members thinking the same.

I completed the conversion a few months ago but the site went down and didn't get around to posting it here. The Torana was still running 14" wheels 8" front and 10" rear. Unfortunately any larger than the HQ style rotors I had required larger diameter rims. Hopers stoppers kits required 15" rims as a minimum for their 287mm disc rotor kit. And of course the kit does come with a price tag of around $1,500.00 As usual I get a bigger buzz from doing it all myself.

I have a Torana K-frame in the shed so it was the perfect platform to do all my measurements. I was going to turn up some front hubs but found a pair of blank hubs on the net for $70.00 each, so wasn't worth while making them myself. I started by putting the hubs on the k-frame and take measurements for a suitable disc rotor.

Looking through my DBA brakes book I found that a BA XR8 falcon 300mm rotor suited the offset I was after. It was heaps cheaper to by a Falcon rotor than buying a blank, so just redrilled the rotor to suit the 5x108 PCD Torana stud pattern. Easy job to do on my mill. At the same time I drilled the blank front hubs and fitted the longer VT wheel studs.

DSC_0119[4382].JPG

I will post up more of the conversion once I find the photos I saved somewhere, bugger I don't know where the bloody photos go sometimes. computers have a mind of their own.