Thread: TACHO Issues

TACHO Issues

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my TACHO, it doesn't go past 3,000 RPM.

Background info: 355, with ICE ignition. Do they play well with ICE ?

Also what is the markings / settings on the back, looks like S, F, 6, 8 ?

Appreciate your help

TACHO.jpg

If it was a V8 tagged car the tacho should be on 8
    6 For 6 cylinder
    Cant help with the tacho issue sorry

have you tried getting in touch with Michael at ICE Ignition. Ive had his ignition system before, had a few issues and he was all over it getting it right. He's the guy that designed the system, so your best bet is to go to the source. Super helpful guy....he'll do right by you

HXsman, most if not all new style ignition systems work on a square wave signal (digital) for controlling coils, including ICE. All Holden electric tachos including sandman pre E.F.I engines all use a different wave signal for the input driver. Some automotive Instrument repair company's can convert your original tacho to except the different input. The new design distributors with square wave/digital triggering system are far superior system than the old points set up. So this is probably causing your tacho to read incorrect.

However over the years I have had a few Holden tacho needles warp due to heat and touch the plastic lens cover and stop at that contact point.
    Last edited by axistr; 15-11-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks all, I spoke to Mike at ICE and yes you are all correct, ICE output is a clean signal square wave. The solution is to connect the TACHO to the negative terminal . Will try it later

Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by HXsman View Post
    Thanks all, I spoke to Mike at ICE and yes you are all correct, ICE output is a clean signal square wave. The solution is to connect the TACHO to the negative terminal . Will try it later

Thanks again everyone

Tachos are always connected to the negative coil either directly or indirectly. Where did you connect yours to.? Or do you have an external ignition controller box to which you connected it to. Even with the tacho connected to the coil negative they won't be very accurate. The old style tachos still need the correct wave input unless converted to except the different signal input.

Thread Information