Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp gauge resistors so I can test the gauge HX HZ

Temp gauge resistors so I can test the gauge HX HZ

I am sure I have seen these quoted somewhere but damned if I can find when I need it. I have tried both senders VDO 320.002 and the fuel miser CTS123 [is this equiv to VDO 320.003?] as supplied by Repco, and get no needle movement with the CTS123 and just a smidge of movement with the 320.002 . stat is operating ok and I have 5v at the sender. I have had the gauges checked prior to install, in Balcatta WA. the other gauges in the cluster work fine but this temp one is doing my head in !

perfect, that confirms that I have the correct sender fitted [52 ohm reading warm] thanks.
    does anyone know what resistor size I need for bridging across the wire [to the sender] and negative?

Just checking that you've got the guage cluster bolted in the dash frame, as one of the bolt holes has an earth connection. It might not work properly if not bolted in.

cheers
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    Just checking that you've got the guage cluster bolted in the dash frame, as one of the bolt holes has an earth connection. It might not work properly if not bolted in.

cheers
    Max
    thanks Max, yes it is the other 3 gauges work ok
    I am still scratching my head as the cluster was given the once over by a very reputable guy here in Perth

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    perfect, that confirms that I have the correct sender fitted [52 ohm reading warm] thanks.
    does anyone know what resistor size I need for bridging across the wire [to the sender] and negative?
    If you want to test the gauge with a resistor, you will need either some fixed value resistors in the range of 73 - 10 ohms or a potentiometer that has the same range available. For a quick check, short the dark green wire connected to your temp sender to earth and then briefly turn the ignition on. Your temp gauge should go to full scale deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    If you want to test the gauge with a resistor, you will need either some fixed value resistors in the range of 73 - 10 ohms or a potentiometer that has the same range available. For a quick check, short the dark green wire connected to your temp sender to earth and then briefly turn the ignition on. Your temp gauge should go to full scale deflection.
    your on the money l had this happen to me now all good runs at quarter temp

Ta, will try that tomorrow. otherwise the gauge goes back to the shop

Spike! Hold everything! I may have found an article that describes your problem, as the symptoms are exactly what you have reported above (very little movement of the temp gauge when engine is hot). See this link and have a read about the 36 ohm bias resistor inside the gauge.

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Temp_Gauge_Repair

It looks like the gauge will deflect when doing the shorting trick, but reads very low or not at all under normal operation. See if you can spot and measure this resistor in your gauge cluster.

Spike! Hold everything! I may have found an article that describes your problem, as the symptoms are exactly what you have reported above (very little movement of the temp gauge when engine is hot). See this link and have a read about the 36 ohm bias resistor inside the gauge.

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Temp_Gauge_Repair

It looks like the gauge will deflect when doing the shorting trick, but reads very low or not at all under normal operation. See if you can spot and measure this resistor in your gauge cluster.
    Damien, your a champion ! [ no I havn't fixed it yet ] I tried shorting the wire to body and the gauge gave me FSD so I was scratching my head and slipping into a mild depression !! I will pop into JCAR tomorrow - hopefully, and grab one. cheers

Thread Information